What We Do > Fluroscopy
These types of studies are often used to visualize the gastrointestinal system. These x-rays give us information on the intestinal tract, stomach, esophagus, and small intestine. There is an extensive prep procedure that patients must follow prior to their procedure.
- GI-Esophagus GI-Small Bowel
- Upper GI and Small Bowel Study
- GI-Entero-vu, Barium Enema, BE with Air
Fluoroscopy Prep for GI Studies
- If you have experienced a reaction to contrast dye in the past, please contact our office prior to your appointment.
- Nothing to eat or drink 2 hours before examination.
GI-Small Bowel, Upper GI, Small Bowel
- Nothing to eat or drink after midnight.
Note: For Small Bowel Procedure ONLY, "Your appointment could last longer than 3-5 hours."
Note: For Upper GI Procedure ONLY, "Your appointment could last 45 minutes."
GI-Entero-Vu, Barium Enema with Air, BE with Air
THE DAY BEFORE
- Breakfast - Nonresidue diet; NO fruits, vegetables, fiber cereal or breads. You may have clear liquids (i.e. coffee, tea clear juice, such as apple, cranberry, grape) NO orange or grapefruit juice (no drinks with pulp).
- Lunch & Afternoon - Clear Liquids from noon to 5:00 p.m-drink 8 ounces of liquid EVERY HOUR (can be water, apple juice, soda, Kool-aid, Jell-O).
- Dinner - Clear Liquids (same as lunch)-drink as much as desired 4:30-One Bottle of Magnesium Citrate 6-9-Drink 8 ounces of water EVERY HOUR 7:30 p.m. Take 2 Dulcolax (Bisacodly) tablets by mouth 9:30 p.m. After this time, have nothing to eat or drink until your exam, unless a small about is needed to take medication.
DAY OF EXAM
- Nothing to eat or drink - only enough water for any medication
- USE ONE Dulcolax suppository TWO hours prior to scheduled exam.
Note: For Entero Vu Procedure ONLY, "Your Appointment could last longer than 3-5 hours."
Note: For Barium Enema Procedure ONLY, "Your Appointment Will last about 1 hour."
Hysterosalpingogram for Infertility (HSG)
This is an x-ray performed under fluoroscope to determine whether the fallopian tubes are open and if the uterine cavity is normal. This test is often done for women who are having difficulty becoming pregnant, however, this xray should not be done if pregnancy is suspected.
- Must be scheduled between day 7-10 of menstrual period. NO intercourse since last menstrual period.
Hysterosalpingogram for Essure Sterilization-Essure is one of the newest methods of sterilzation, where micro -inserts are placed in a location where the fallopian tubes have been blocked. A hysterosalpingogram is performed to check the patency of the tubes and make sure that both tubes have been blocked.
Prep for Hysterosalpingogram (Post Essure procedure for sterilzation)
- NO intercourse 3 days prior to Essure procedure
NOTE: All ESSURE patients MUST have a blood (not a urinalysis) pregnancy test within 24 hours of the procedure. You will need to bring the results with you or have them faxed to us. If we do not have a blood pregnancy test we cannot do the exam.
Note: In general, laboratories are not open on Sundays, so any Monday appointments for this procedure would not have lab results back.
Intravenous Pyelogram (IVP)
Intravenous Pyelogram is commonly done to identify diseases of the urinary tract, such as kidney stones, tumors, or infection. Note: See a picture of an IVP showing a kidney stone. It is also used to look for problems with the structure of the urinary tract that were present from birth (congenital). IVP is commonly done to identify diseases of the urinary tract, such as kidney stones, tumors, or infection.
Note: See a picture of an IVP showing a kidney stone . It is also used to look for problems with the structure of the urinary tract that were present from birth (congenital).
PRE- APPOINTMENT PREPARATION
- You must let us know if you are allergic to contrast dye.
Vascular & Interventional Procedures
Diagnostic and Therapeutic Spinal and Joint Injection Procedures
View All Procedures
Vascular & Interventional Physicians
6685 NW 9th Blvd Gainesville, FL 32605
Phone: 352.333.7VIP (7847)
Direct Spine Line: 352. 313. 6873
Hours: 7:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Monday - Friday
Office Directions and Map
Billing & Insurance Information